In 2013, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched the National Reproductive, Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) strategy to fulfil its commitment for improving maternal health and child survival by adopting a comprehensive approach and linking together a set of initiatives and strategies that address each life stage. A total of 184 high priority districts (HPDs) were prioritized for action with identified high impact RMNCH+A interventions. It was also felt that in order to accelerate progress in these districts, technical assistance and continuous mentoring support to the state governments need to be leveraged with support from development partners.
For the state of Jammu and Kashmir, NIPI was entrusted as the State Lead Partner to provide technical support in implementation of RMNCH+A strategy. Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI), NIPI’s implementing partner, provides technical support through establishment of a Technical Support Unit (TSU) at national, state and district level – State Resource Unit (SRU) and district monitors in six HPDs, namely, Rajouri, Poonch, Doda, Ramban, Kishtwar and Leh.
Strategy and Status 2015
In consultation with the state of Jammu and Kashmir, five key objectives have been identified as key support areas for RMNCH+A implementation in the state:
Objective 1: Supportive supervision visits in the HPDs as per MoHFW mandat
- 229 supportive supervision visits conducted of the targeted 144 (159%) in all delivery points and corrective actionable areas shared with districts and state health officials
- Monthly monitoring data shared with National RMNCH+A Unit.
Objective 2: Technical support in formulation of District Health Action Plan (DHAP) and State Programme Implementation Plan (PIP)
- Evidence-based budgeting prepared with real time data captured by m-Health application utilized in planning, budgeting and policy making
- Statewide gaps analysis using MoHFW Checklist done at 1800 listed facilities
- Technical inputs for inclusion of financial support of INR 29.76 crores in State PIP for RMNCH+A activities in the six HPDs
Objective 3: Strengthening Village Health and Nutrition Days (VHNDs)
- 122 VHND sessions monitored out of targeted 216 and findings shared with districts and state
- 54 block level meetings held to sensitize ANMs about significance of VHND as a platform to increase outreach and provide services to community
- VHND micro planning formats prepared and shared with district and blocks
Objective 4: Establish RMNCH+A review mechanism
- Two state level RMNCH+A review meetings conducted
- 54 block level meetings and 42 district level meetings attended by district monitors
State level technical support
- Technical support and monitoring done by district, state and national coordinators in immunization campaign, ‘Mission Indradhanush’
- Technical support provided at state level for strengthening RMNCH+A high impact interventions.